Wednesday 12 September 2012

No Subtitles For Dallas Viewers

As an eighties child, I grew up watching Dallas. When the US TV series returned to our screens last week on Channel 5, I was one of the 3.4 million viewers who tuned in to watch it and was satisfied with the Southfork drama and anxiously anticipated watching it tonight to see what the young Ewing cousins were getting up to.
Dallas Channel 5 Wednesdays 9pm
I was sincerely angered.  No, I was sincerely pissed that there were no subtitles for deaf/hard of hearing viewers.  Channel 5 one of the five mainstream UK TV channels, does not respect its hearing impaired viewers.  Subtitling during the Big Brother season wasn't consistent and I've been unable to watch my former favourite topical debate show The Wright Stuff for two years as subtitles aren't available.

Dallas has brought Channel 5 their best viewing figures in years.  The least they could do is cater for all viewers.  I've been able to follow the storyline and if the subtitles are absent next week, there's no point in me tuning in to watch again.  I'm sure I'm not the only hearing impaired viewer who feels that way too.

Get your act together, Channel 5...There's plenty other channels that deaf people can watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment